Derailments can cause serious accidents, even disasters especially if dangerous substances are involved. Knorr-Bremse therefore offers derailment detectors in order to improve the safety of rail vehicles. There is a choice between an electronic and a pneumatic system – both suitable for a wide variety of vehicle types.
- Passenger cars
- Metros and urban trains
- Multiple units
- Dangerous goods transport
- Goods wagons
- Tank cars
The derailment detector detects derailed axles by picking up and interpreting the impact of the bogie wheels striking the railway sleepers. The train driver then either receives a warning signal or the train is automatically brought to a stop by emergency braking. The aim is to limit the damage consequential to such a derailment.
- Increased safety for passengers and goods
- Limitation of damage after a derailment
- Issue of a diagnostic message and/or immediate braking if an axle becomes derailed
- Simple retro-fitting to existing wagons
- Low running costs
- UIC approval of the pneumatic derailment detector EDT101